Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Pseudofreshers 2015 (Part I)

The first thing I will admit to you all is that I go out a lot. In my undergraduate days I literally clocked hundreds of nights out and, while that may seem incredibly excessive, it's not something I ever grew bored of, nor am I bored of it thus far. I met so many people in my first year and befriended many more through second, third and fourth year, so there was always a number of people out on pretty much any particular night. Towards the end of my time as an undergrad, it became inevitable that I met quite a lot of people in the years below me...

... which led ultimately in the insane week I had last week. As I have remained in Preston for my doctorate studies, I promised myself I wouldn't go out as much and try and acclimatise myself to a quieter lifestyle around thirty-odd thousand students. That, however, was never going to be the case in Freshers week. Once I started seeing my friends again after what had been a largely dull summer, the old-school student feeling hit home like it always did. As a result, I was out 7 nights within 8 days which was a feat equalling my previous Freshers week performances (and beating at least one of them, I think). 

This sounds like quite a costly mission, but in Preston, it really isn't. Entry prices can be a bit silly if you go late (usually around £6), but sometimes you can get free or £1 entry before 12 which is worth going for. Drink prices can't really be argued with either. There are a number of places doing £2.50 double vodka and mixers and incredibly I even got a long island iced tea cocktail for £3 one night. All in all, to have a good time in Preston's Freshers week you don't have to break the bank, unless you want to be that guy who gets the VIP booth and a bottle of Grey Goose upon the arrival of your first student loan.

I'm heading off for now, and I'll return shortly with some stories of the shenanigans from last week. What is the nightlife like where you are? Do you enjoy it, and do you (have to) spend a lot of money on nightlife?

No comments:

Post a Comment